26 Jun 2014

My First Day Alone

As a primarily solo traveller, I've been lucky to be with some of my closest friends for the long flight and beginning of my journey. On Sunday night I said goodbye to my friends, who I won't see until I return home in October, and headed back to my accommodation alone. It's quite a thrill to wake up in a big city where nobody knows your name and have the whole day to explore and do whatever you please.

After sitting alone for my continental breakfast, I set off to Camden markets. I browsed the stalls, which didn't have much of interest to me, then navigated through the backstreets to Regents Park (photos below). I explored the beautifully manicured gardens, before laying in the sun for a few hours reading a book. I've been lucky enough to be blessed with beautiful sunny days throughout my time in London!



I then headed south, walking through the streets in search of a cafe. I came across a Le Pain Quotidien and sat at a table looking out of the window at the busy street and people passing by. I relaxed with a muffin and pot of green jasmine tea.

Later, I returned to a park near my accommodation and laid in the sun reading my book again. I then walked through the business district to meet a new friend for dinner.

I was happy to have a day to relax after the flight to Singapore and spending the entire previous day walking and sightseeing. I've encountered a mixture of attitudes towards the fact that I'm travelling alone - many say they would be too scared to do it. So far I've found that most people will go out of their way to help you if you are looking lost or need assistance buying a ticket. I saw the below quote online and I feel it is relevant if you are considering solo travel... Or for life in general :)

life rules
- you are never as awkward as you think you are
- you are never as annoying as you think you are
- you are never as boring as you think you are
- your compliments are never as creepy as you think they are
- you are way more wanted than you give yourself credit for
- chin up, dude

No comments:

Post a Comment